As the UK’s busiest link to the continent this a highly sensitive network on which to operate.
The geotechnical scheme between Junctions 8 and 7 London Bound restored the structural integrity to the embankment following damage caused by extensive burrowing from rabbits.
- Granular replacement of embankment slope to widen the crest of the earthwork for 376m
- Haul road 3.0m wide 350m long
- Material Excavated: 7,500t
- Gullies renewed: 23
- Drainage Repairs: 230m
- Acoustic Barrier Fence replaced: 460m
- VRS Fencing: 390m
- Preventative Rabbit netting placed and covered with top soil: 2400m2
Project Challenges & Solutions:
Close liaison with North Kent Boys Brigade whose land lies on the embankment
Nesting birds and dormice -boxes were erected within the remaining woodland and the start of the works were delayed until the birds had left the nests
Minimising disruption for site owner and road users meant carrying out work simultaneously from the main carriageway & haul road. LGV traffic had to be controlled and close liaison with local residents and the council undertaken
See our teams in action here